Wednesday, April 2, 2008

little ditty about report cards


Last week was the end of third quarter for my class, which means i have parent-teacher conferences this week. I give out the kids report cards to their parents at the meeting but i let the kids have a chance in class to see their report cards before their parents. This way if they need to do some major damage control beforehand they have the chance. So i handed out their report cards today just before the end of school and told them to make sure they turned them back in before they left. As all the kids are looking over their report cards I noticed this one girl in my class hunched over her desk like she was writing something but didn't want anyone to see. After a few minutes the kids all came back up and handed their report cards back. I was shuffling through them to make sure they were all there and when I came to that girls report card i started laughing out loud. All the kids were looking at me wonderin what was goin on but class was over by then so they didn't really care and they started to leave. So I called this girl up to my desk and told her "Just a little advice between you and me, if you're gonna try and change your grades you have to use a pen, pencil is to obvious." She had been trying to change two B minusses into B plusses, but her vertical line was done in thick pencil marks that almost blocked out the whole grade and they were almost a 1/4 of an inch long. I was impressed with her gutsy, albeit desperate, attempt to change her grades right there in class. I thought it was hilarious and worth sharing.

One more side note about report cards. The other day I was cleaning out some old papers and i found my own report card for 3rd semester of my Junior year in High School. I'm proud to announce I had a GPA of .5 for that semester. What kind of a moron gets a .5? I was laughing like crazy when I saw it and I showed it to Katie. She didn't think it was funny at all. So I took it to Josh and Emily. Emily was able to appreciate its greatness but it didn't seem like Josh found it very funny either. Apparently the Allison's don't find humor in failing worse than Merril Cook's political career.

3 comments:

Christine said...

I personally think a .5 is quite funny. How do you get a .5? And what is a .5 anyway? Is it like all F's and one D-?

I love that story about the girl in your class, that would probably be me if I ever tried to cheat. In fact, I did try to cheat in 5th grade. We were having a test on the continents, and I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to remember all of them (like that's so hard) so I wrote them on my desk before the test. Well, I was caught and I started crying, so the teacher let me retake the test out in the hall. I got a 100% without cheating, but I think she took some points off for trying to cheat. Lesson learned, if you're going to cheat don't let the teacher see that you wrote the answers on your desk.

Leesa said...

I also think a .5 is hillarious, Josh didnt think so cause it brought back flash backs for him when he got that grade and how he had to mow the lawn (worst possible punishment, even worse than having wiggley's butt in his face)once.
if you want another laugh look at my 3rd grade math test that is still being displayed for my public embarrasment on the fridge. I am actually very proud of my 9%!

lulu said...

This post makes me laugh. The comments make me laugh too. But if it were my report card, I wouldn't be laughing. What does that say about me? uhhh...Yep. Afraid of failure.