Saturday, March 23, 2013

Kingman, Arizona. Not just for the homeless anymore.

My mom and I went to visit Christine in Kingman, Arizona this past week.  It was so sunny and beautiful there.  I had a lot of fun being with them and getting to know Michael better.  
 Here's Christine taking a picture of us.





 These are some petroglyphs in a canyon close to Kingman.  There were so many of them!  The canyon was pretty amazing.  I like this picture of Michael because it shows him with his stick.  Everywhere we went he found some sticks to carry around with him for the entire hike.  Sometimes he picked one, sometimes as many as he could carry, and yes, sometimes they were very pokey and pointy.


There is a park close to Christine's house with a real train engine and caboose on display.  One of my favorite parts of visiting Christine was Michael's reaction when he found where we were going that day.  Christine told him to get ready because we were about ready to go to the train park.  He came running around the corner into the kitchen yelling, "WHAT DID YOU SAY????!!!!"  He didn't want to misinterpret the most important announcement of his 3 year old life.
He's covering his ears because a real train is passing across the street and is pretty loud.

 Me and Eva in front of the train.
 Eva lookin' cute wearing her sun glasses.

Here's another highlight of the trip!  Remember the eerie stare of the Teddy Ruxpin?  Well Eva fits into his clothes!   Good news!  I won't need to buy 9-12 month clothing for her now!  (Her diaper may be showing and the legs aren't quite long enough but it's pretty close!)

 Teddy Ruxpin winter wear (no need to cover arms completely as long as it's covering the head, right?).

 Teddy Ruxpin casual/sports/every day wear.  I think the cap on top really adds to the outfit.  Why can't all baby clothing have velcro at every seam?  This was much easier to get her into than her own clothes.  And if she gets tired of them, she can rip them off herself.

 Here we are fishing for crawdad.  Not pictured: actual fishing for crawdad.  Christine did catch a few and put them in a fish tank she brought along.  She also caught some minnows.  We had a feast that night!

We went to see some wagon wheels etched into rock (that's where this above picture was taken).

I had a lot of fun!  I'm really grateful I got to go.  The sun was shining every day and I got to be with people I love every day for a week and a half.  That's what I call a good vacation.  (Can you tell I'm a little family and sunshine deprived?)

Oh, one more thing.  There is a real reason for the title of this post.  I've lived in some not so glamours places before and I've visited some "scary" places in the USA but I've never felt so uncomfortable/creeped out as visiting the local Smiths at 8 pm on a Monday night in Kingman, Arizona.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Thx for the post! I told Andrew that you said thank Kingman has the largest concentration of ugly people you have ever seen. He just laughed and said, but they're happy being ugly and then we feel beautiful next the them.

Bennett said...

those teddy ruckspin clothes on Eva made me laugh.